Lots of people consider ‘Hacking’ as a bad and illegal thing. However, it’s not true at all. Hacking has always been a part of computing and it’s a much broad subject that you think. The work of an ethical hacker is to find loopholes or vulnerabilities in-network or any other protocol.
There are lots of people who are willing to learn ethical hacking. There are lots of courses available on the web which can help you learn ethical hacking in a few years. If you are also willing to learn to hack, then you should start using Linux distro immediately.
20 Best Operating Systems For Hackers 2020
So, in this article, we have decided to share a list of the best Linux based operating system that hackers use. So, let’s check out the best-operating systems for hackers.
1. Kali Linux
It is one of the most modern OS that is being used by hackers for pen testing and lots of security exploits. This is a Linux based OS that provides you privacy and safety from the vulnerabilities that other OS have in it. So you must try out this cool OS on your PC.
- Full Customisation of Kali ISOs
- The Kali Linux ISO of doom – an excellent example of the flexibility of live-build, and the types and complexity of customizations possible.
- Kali Linux Live USB persistence with LUKS encryption
- Kali Linux Full Disk Encryption
- Kali Linux on a Raspberry Pi and a bunch of other interesting ARM devices
The other well-known Linux based Operating system is backtrack that is being used from a few previous years and best known as the OS for network cracking and pen-testing. And it’s also one of the best OS that can perform various network hacks with privacy.
- One-stop-shop for all of your security needs
- Metasploit for integration
- Wi-Fi drivers supporting monitor mode (of mon mode) and packet injection
- Cisco OCS Mass Scanner, a very reliable and fast scanner for Cisco routers to test default telnet and enabling password.
- A large collection of exploits as well as more conventional software such as browsers.
This is one of the best OS for hackers that is just in the form of Live CD. In this, you just have to create a bootable USB of this OS and then simply boot on your PC, and there is no requirement to install it, you just have to run it on your PC and do hacking attacks.
- Available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions, the latter having a significant speed increase from 32bit
- Includes the required environment to crack passwords using GPGPU with OpenCL and CUDA configured ‘out of the box'
- Built on hardened Linux, including a hardened kernel and toolchain
A hardened kernel with extra patches
- It uses a pentoo overlay, which allows tools to be built on top of a standard gentoo build.
Another good operating system that every pentester would love to try out on their PC. This OS is being developed after the great necessity of many things that are not present in another Linux based OS.
- THC IPV6 Attack toolkit
- Lots of tools for security testing
- Lightweight and extremely fast
Parrot Security is an operating system based on Debian GNU/Linux mixed with Frozen box OS and Kali Linux to provide the best penetration and security testing experience for the attackers and security testers. It is an operating system for IT security and penetration testing developed by the Frozen box Dev Team.
- Custom hardened Linux 4.3 kernel, rolling release upgrade line
- Custom Anti-Forensic tools
- Custom interfaces for GPG
- Custom interfaces for crypt setup
- “Forensic” boot option to avoid boot automounts
- Most famous Digital Forensic tools and frameworks out of the box
The other best OS for security testing which comes in the form of Live CD and you can directly boot on your computer, and you can easily run this OS on your PC and do various hacks on your PC.
- Many tasks that can be performed within NST are available through a web interface called NST WUI
- Visualization of ntopng, ntop, Wireshark, traceroute, NetFlow and kismet data
7. Arch Linux
Arch Linux is a Linux distribution for computers based on IA-32 and x86-64 architectures. It is composed predominantly of free and open-source software and supports community involvement.
- Arch Linux uses its Pacman package manager, which couples simple binary packages with an easy-to-use package build system.
- The minimal Arch base package set resides in the streamlined [core] repository.
- Arch Linux uses a “rolling-release” system that allows one-time installation and perpetual software upgrades.
- Arch strives to keep its packages as close to the original upstream software as possible.
BackBox is an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution penetration testing and security assessment oriented providing a network and information systems analysis toolkit. And this OS also provides you the privacy and a vulnerable free environment.
- BackBox has built one of the very first cloud platforms for penetration testing.
- Designed to be fast, easy to use and provide a minimal yet complete desktop environment.
- BackBox is fully automated and non-intrusive, with no agents required and no network configuration changes needed to accomplish regularly scheduled, automated configuration backups.
- With the BackBox dashboard overview, you save time and eliminate the need to track individual network devices
After the release of backtrack five this OS is being developed and is now one of the best OS used for pen testing and network cracking, and it is based on a Linux distribution. Must try out this OS.
- Lots of utilities for penetration testing
- Plenty of default apps like Chromium, Opera, Firefox, etc.
- Built-in text editors, file transfer client, network scanners, etc
- Lightweight and fast.
Bugtraq is a distribution based on GNU/Linux aimed at digital forensics, penetration testing, Malware Laboratories, and GSM Forensics and is one of the best choices of attackers.
- Bugtraq system offers the most comprehensive distribution, optimal and stable with automated services manager in real-time.
- Kernel generic of 3.2 and 3.4 available in 32 Bits & 64 Bits has a huge range of penetration, forensic and laboratory tools.
- The systems are available in 11 different languages
- It has tools like mobile forensic tools, malware testing laboratories, tools of the Bugtraq-Community, audit tools for GSM, wireless, Bluetooth and RFID
11. DEFT Linux
DEFT stands for Digital Evidence and Forensic Toolkit, and it’s an open-source distro of Linux that is built around the Digital Advanced Response Toolkit (DART) software. Deft is Ubuntu customization. Computer forensics and incident response tools that DEFT Linux includes can be used by IT auditors, investigators, military, and police.
- The operating system made for Windows users
- Lots of security tools for pentesting
- Lots of built-in apps
- Lightweight and fast
Blackbuntu is a penetration testing Linux distribution that is specially designed for training security students and information security practitioners. It is currently built on Ubuntu 10.10 with the Gnome desktop environment. Blackbuntu will also include the KDE desktop in the final release of Blackbuntu Community Edition 0.3.
- Blackbuntu is designed for training students, or people wanted to learn more about computer security, penetration testing, internet security, and information security.
- Tools like Information Gathering, Network Mapping, Vulnerability Identification, Penetration, Privilege Escalation, Maintaining Access, Radio Network Analysis, VoIP Analysis are included
13. Knoppix STD
This operating system is actually a collection of hundreds if not thousands of open source security tools. This is a Live Linux distro, which means that it can run directly from a bootable CD.
- The tools are divided into categories
- More than hundreds of security tools
- Live Linux distro
14. BlackArch Linux
This is another Linux based penetration testing distro for penetration testers and researchers. The latest version of BlackArch Linux has more than 1400 penetration testing tools.
- The best operating system for penetration tester
- The latest version has over 1400 tools
- BlackArch Live ISO contains multiple window managers.
This is basically a live Linux environment that can be taken as a web-based pen-testing platform. The Samurai Web Testing Framework holds numerous free and open-source hacking tools that are very useful for detecting vulnerabilities or loopholes in the website
- Includes some useful tools like WebScarab and ratproxy
- Samurai Web Testing Framework is a virtual machine supported on VMware and VirtualBox
- The VM contains the best of the open-source and free tools that focus on testing and attacking websites.
Caine is a security-focused Linux distribution and it is based on Ubuntu. This distro can be run from the hard disk after installation. This is one of the best distros which you can use for ethical hacking.
- Perfect distro for ethical hacking
- The distro also supports common apps like email clients, document editors, web browsers, etc.
- Caine features a large number of tools for memory, network analysis, and forensics.
Fedora Security Spin distro is run by a community of security researchers and developers. The distro is powered by lightweight Xfce Desktop Environment and it features some significant tool for security research.
- Maintained by a group of security researchers and developers
- Comes with some awesome security tools for firewalls, network analyzer, password crackers and much more.
- The distro act as a safe test environment.
18. Live Hacking OS
Well, this is one of the best Linux distribution which is loved by hackers. The Linux distro brings some awesome tools and utilities for ethical hacking, penetration testing and countermeasure verification. It includes the graphical user interface GNOME inbuilt.
19. ArchStrike Linux
This is one of the best Linux distribution for hacking purposes. It’s basically a penetration testing & security layer on top of the famous Arch Strike Linux distro. The operating system follows the rules of Arch Linux and it’s an Arch Linux repository for security professionals with tons of tools.
- This is a security layer on top of the popular Arch Linux
- This is not a standalone Linux distro unlike other Linux-based distros
- It features a huge list of tools for security professionals.
BackBox is one of the best-operating systems which is widely used by hackers. The operating system is based on Ubuntu Linux and it brings in a wide range of penetration testing tools. The Linux distribution could be great for those who are looking for more practical security research.
- Backbox is based on Ubuntu Linux
- The Linux distribution brings in tons of security tools
- BackBox offers some advanced tools for security testing and ethical hacking
BlackBuntu is another best operating system that is widely used by hackers. Well, the operating system is based on the GNOME desktop environment. That means you could expect lots of tools specially designed for security research. Not just hackers, BlackBuntu is also one of the favorite operating systems for security training students.
- BlackBuntu is completely free to download and use
- The operating system brings in lots of security tools
- One of the most popular penetration testing distribution available on the internet.
22. Dracos Linux
Well, Dracos Linux is the last one on the list and it’s also one of the favorite operating systems of hackers. The operating system is widely used by hackers and its based on Linux from scratch. Guess what? Dracos Linux is fast, strong and rich in features. Talking about the features, the operating system brings in lots of security testing tools.
- Dracos Linux is extremely popular among hackers.
- The operating system is fast, stable and powerful
- Dracos Linux brings in lots of tools for security testing and penetration testing.
So above are the Best OS For Hackers. I hope this article helped you! Share it with your friends also. If you know any other such OS, let us know in the comment box below.