Purism, the company known for creating laptops which are focused on security and privacy is betting into a new arena to manufacture smartphones. Purism is running a crowdfunding campaign for Librem 5 smartphone.
Librem 5 Is An Open Source, Linux-Powered Smartphone Focused On Security & Privacy
Well, we have already seen several phones which are completely focused on security like Blackphone, Zenphone, Turing Phone, Granite Phone and several other. Well, most of these phones have failed to make the impact in the smartphone industry.
Recently, Purism, the company known for creating laptops which are focused on security and privacy is betting into a new arena to manufacture smartphones. Their first smartphone goes by the name Librem 5 is priced at $599.
Todd Weaver, Founder & CEO of Purism said: “I believe digital rights should mirror physical rights, our Librem 5 phone will get humanity closer to that goal.” Librem 5 is “built to protect you by default. It will never exploit you for profit. It will be a phone for the people, by the people.”
Here are the key features of Librem 5 from Purism:
- Does not run Google Android
- Does not run Apple iOS
- Runs PureOS by default, can run most GNU+Linux distributions
- World’s first ever IP-native mobile handset
- End-to-end decentralized communications via Matrix
- 5″ screen
- Security focused by design
- Privacy protection by default
- Works with 2G/3G/4G, GSM, UMTS, and LTE networks
- CPU separate from Baseband
- Hardware Kill Switches for Camera, Microphone, WiFi/Bluetooth, and Baseband
Well, right now Purism is running a crowdfunding campaign for Librem 5. For more details, you need to visit this link. So, what do you think about Librem 5? Share your views in the comment box below.