A 36 years old man suffered severe burns just after the Apple iPhone 6 exploded in his back pocket while riding bicycle in Sydney, Australia. The explosion occurred when the man fell off the bike and hit the mobile which influenced the high temperature.

Man Suffers Serious Burns After His iPhone 6 Explodes

In a strange accident, a 36 years old man in New South Wales suffered severe burns when his Apple iPhone 6 exploded in his back pocket while he was riding his bicycle in Sydney, Australia.

Gareth Clear told the local newspaper in the Australian city after falling from the bike he felt heat in the back of his left thigh and just after that incident immediately he saw the smoke arising from his back pocket.

“I saw smoke coming out of pocket … and suddenly felt a searing pain and heat”. Burning phone ripped pants in seconds. “I just remember looking at my leg and see everything black on my leg and the smell of phosphorus,” he explained the terrible experience which he faced last Sunday.

A spokesman for the Association of consumer protection in Australia has said that they are investigating the incident. “The size and decreasing thinness of mobile devices, along with consumer expectations on battery life are challenging for manufacturers,” he said.

“It was a one in one million chance I hit a part of the phone which pierced the lithium battery and it exploded,” Gareth Clear was quoted as saying.

Gareth Clear also added that “I am 36, I have had a mobile phone for 18 years of my life and for that thing to explode or short circuit and cause it to temporarily ignite. I could see the metal bending and all the lithium leaking out of the bottom end”.

The spokesman advised that the devices are not stored in pockets and less when physical activities are conducted. However, he also acknowledged that the impact was minimal received by the mobile because Gareth Clear fell from a standing position to misplace one foot on the pedal and off balance.

Furthermore Gareth Clear mentioned that “after the explosion, the base of the phone looks like “something from a chemical explosion and the top remains perfectly intact”.

Hence, Gareth Clear hung the picture of the suffering burn on his Twitter account and received an automatic response from the Apple. The man said that Apple does not blame the explosion and publicize the incident. However, Gareth Clear said that on the reply Apple told him that they would investigate the incident.