Threads, the new app from Instagram, is constantly making headlines in the popular news channel worldwide. The reason why the app went viral is simple: it was launched at the right time.
Just when users started to feel Twitter was no longer how it used to be, Mark Zuckerberg came up with Threads, a potential competitor of Twitter. The app gained millions of users within a few hours of launch and broke many records.
Meta says Thread is an ‘Instagram’s text-based conversation app’. It’s an app that focuses more on texts rather than images and videos, and most of its features rely on your Instagram account.
The use the new Threads app, you have to download it from the App Store and log in with your Instagram account. Once you link your Instagram, the username ports over to the threads, and you can follow the same people you follow on Instagram.
Linking Instagram with Threads is a good idea, but it still has a few drawbacks. The biggest drawback is that you can’t separate your Instagram and Threads account, and there’s no way to delete Threads account without deleting your Instagram.
How to Delete or Deactivate Your Threads Account
How to Deactivate Your Threads Profile?
While there’s no option to delete Threads Profile without deleting your Instagram, you can deactivate it. Deactivating Threads account is pretty easy, and you won’t have to access Instagram’s settings. Here are the steps to deactivate Threads profile.
1. Open the Threads app on your Android or iPhone.
2. When the app opens, tap on the profile icon at the bottom right corner of your screen.
3. On the profile screen, tap the menu icon (two lines) at the top right corner.
4. On Settings, tap on the Account icon.
5. On the Account Settings, tap on the Deactivate Profile.
6. Now tap on the Deactivate Threads Profile.
7. On the confirmation prompt, tap on the Deactivate option.
That’s it! This will immediately deactivate your Threads Profile. If you change your mind later and want to reactivate the profile, log back into the Threads app with your Instagram account.
How to Delete Threads Account?
As of now, there’s no option to delete threads profiles separately. To delete your Threads profile and data, you must delete your Instagram account. Here’s how to delete threads account by deleting Instagram.
1. Open the Instagram app on your smartphone.
2. When the app opens, tap on your profile picture at the bottom right.
3. This will take you to your profile screen. On the top right corner, tap on the hamburger menu.
4. On the menu that appears, tap on Settings and Privacy.
5. On the Settings and Privacy screen, tap on Accounts Center.
6. Now tap on the Personal details under Account Settings.
7. On the Personal details screen, tap on Account Ownership and control.
8. On the next screen, tap on Deactivation or Deletion.
9. Now select the account you want to delete.
10. On the Deactivating or deleting your Instagram account prompt, select Delete account and tap on Continue.
That’s it! This is how you can delete your Instagram account. Deleting the Instagram account will also delete your Threads profile.
Since Instagram powers Threads, it requires deleting your Instagram account to delete Threads’ profile. However, the help page Instagram mentioned that the team is looking into a way to delete Threads Profile Separately.
So, there are chances that you will get a feature to delete your Threads profile separately in the upcoming months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will deleting Threads delete Instagram?
Currently, there’s no option to delete the Threads Profile within the Threads app. The only way to delete Threads is to delete the linked Instagram account. So, this is not a valid question.
Deactivating Instagram will deactivate Threads?
Yes! If you deactivate your Instagram account, your Threads profile will also be deactivated. So, if you don’t want to lose your Threads profile, don’t deactivate your Instagram account.
Deactivating Threads will deactivate Instagram?
No! Threads require your Instagram account to function; Instagram doesn’t. So, deactivating your Threads profile won’t affect your Instagram account. Also, deactivating threads won’t delete your Threads data.
What will happen if I delete Threads Profile?
If you’ve deleted your Instagram account to get rid of your Threads profile, you still have 30 days to cancel the request. Within 30 days, you can log back in to cancel the deletion request. Instagram automatically deletes all your profile information from its servers after 30 days.
Can I Sign Up again with the same username?
Yes! Once your account is deleted, you can sign up again with the same username on Instagram. Not only that, but you can even add that username to another account as long as any new person on Instagram hasn’t taken it.
How to delete threads account without deleting Instagram account?
Currently, there’s no way to delete Threads account without deleting Instagram. However, the company behind Threads is working on ways to delete Threads profiles separately.
Also Read: How to Download Threads Videos
Meta is working on a way to delete Threads profiles separately, so there are chances that you will see an option to delete Threads profiles within the app. Meanwhile, you can deactivate your Threads profile if you don’t want to use it.