Time to protect your external Hard Drive with encryption to secure your data from unauthorized access. We will share two methods to help you protect your External Hard Disk Drives with the password. Go through the post to know about it.
Security is always the first priority for every user, and when it’s about some personal data, then it becomes more important. If we talk about an external hard drive disk where you store lots of personal data, is not at all secure because anyone can carry your portable drive and do some illegal act. However, it can be password protected; you can set your desired password to unlock the external drive on any computer. So look at the complete guide discussed below to protect your external drive with a security password.
Protect External Hard Disk Drives With Passwords
We have mentioned two methods below; one is based on system settings that will allow you to lock your drive with a password without needing a third-party tool. Whereas the other one requires a third-party tool to password-protect your drives. Just follow up on some simple steps below to proceed.
Also Read: How to Disable Run Dialog Box in Windows
1. First, connect your external hard drive to your Windows PC and turn it on. Now click on the Start button and then navigate to Control Panel -> BitLocker Drive Encryption.
2. By default BitLocker will be “Off” you need to Turn On BitLocker for the drive that you want to encrypt.
3. Now there tick on “Use a Password to Unlock the Drive” option there and enter the same password in both fields and then click “Next“.
4. Now time to save your key somewhere for that click on “Save the Recovery Key to a File,” and then select any location where you want to save your key for future reference and then proceed by clicking on next button.
5. Now click on Start Encryption option and wait for the process to complete and it can take a time to complete depending upon drive size. Once finished
That’s it! you are done, now you drive will always a require a password to access files inside it.
Password Protect Your External Drive With StorageCrypt
1. First of all in your windows PC download and install the tool StorageCrypt. Now launch the tool and then connect your drive with PC.
2. Now in the tool, select your device to encrypt with password. Now select quick mode and then protect your drive with your desired password and then click on “encrypt”
That’s it! you are done, now your drive will always a require a password to access files inside it.
Using Kakasoft USB Security
Kakasoft USB security is one of the best security tool available for USB Flash Drivers. However, you can also use this tool to protect External Hard Disk Drives with a password. Here’s how you can use Kakasoft USB Security to password protect your External Hard-drive
1. First of all, download Kakasoft USB Security on your computer and then launch the tool.
2. Now, plug in your external hard drive to your computer and then select a target drive disk in the drive list. Finally, click on ‘install’
3. In the next step, you need to set a new password. Simply enter the password and confirm it. Click on ‘Protect’
That’s it, you are done! This is how you can use Kakasoft USB Security to password protect your External hard drive.
Using Other Softwares:
VeraCrypt adds enhanced security to the algorithms used for system and partitions encryption making it immune to new developments in brute-force attacks. It can encrypt your external hard disk and can even encrypt your windows partitions.
DiskCryptor is an open encryption solution that offers encryption of all disk partitions, including the system partition. The fact of openness goes in sharp contrast with the current situation, where most of the software with comparable functionality is completely proprietary, which makes it unacceptable to use for protection of confidential data.
Free Encryption Software to protect your confidential data on Any Windows PC, Desktop, Laptop, Hard Disk or Removable Drive such as USB Flash Drive, Memory Stick. Cryptainer allows you to password protect and secure any file or folder on any media, including removable drives (Flash Drives, External hard disk, CD ROM’s etc.)
SafeHouse Explorer can protect files residing on any drive, including memory sticks, external USB drives, network servers, CD/DVDs and even iPods. SafeHouse Explorer uses passwords and maximum-strength 256-bit advanced encryption to completely hide and defend your sensitive files.
File Secure free is another best software which let you protect your external hard disk with the password. You can use File Secure free to lock your sensitive files with a solid password which will restrict other users from accessing without the password.
File secure uses AES encryption algorithm of the military standard to password protect your external drives like hard drive, flash drive etc.
If you are looking for a trustable open source file encryption tool, then nothing can beat AxCrypt. This is one of the leading encryption software which you can use on the Windows operating system to protect your USB drives or external hard drives with the password.
The software comes for free and it provides one of the easiest ways to encrypt individual files in the Windows operating system. Axcrypt also has some advanced feature which integrates seamlessly with Windows.
If you are looking for a portable encryption tool for your Windows 10 computer that can password protect your USB Drives or External Hard Drives, then SecurStick might be the best pick for you. The great thing about SecurStick is that it uses the 256-bit AES encryption to password protect your files and folders. You can use SecurStick on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 10 computer.
Symantec Drive Encryption is another best drive encryption software which everyone would love to use. The great thing about Symantec Drive Encryption is that it’s made by the leading security software manufacturer – Symantec. Symantec Drive Encryption uses some strong and advanced encryption technologies to password protect your USB drives and Hard Disk drives. So, Symantec Drive Encryption is another best software which you can use to protect External hard drives with a password.
Well, BoxCryptor has both free and premium versions and its one of the most advanced file encryption software that you can use on your Windows 10 computer. The great thing about BoxCryptor is that it uses the advanced AES-256 and RSA encryption technologies to protect your USB drives and external hard disk drives. So, BoxCryptor is another best drive encryption software that you can consider.
You can easily secure your external hard drive with your desired password with the above two methods. Hope you like this cool post, do share with others too. Leave a comment below if you have any related queries with this.