SD Card is the most convenient way to expand the storage of a smartphone or computer. It’s also used for file storage and file transfer. However, just like every other storage option, SD Cards were prone to damage.
Sometimes, the SD card gets crashed and becomes inaccessible. Once the SD card is crashed, there’s no option to get back the data stored on it. Yes, there are some ways to repair a crashed SD card, but most of them require a bit of support from luck.
5 Methods to Repair a Crashed SD Card and Protect your Data
So, if your SD card is crashed or unable to access the files, you might find this article helpful.
In this article, we will share some of the best ways to repair a crashed SD card. Let’s check out.
1. Check On Other Computer
Well, before proceeding to the other methods, it’s essential to check whether the SD card is really corrupted or not. It might be the fault in the operating system that’s leading to the SD card issue.
So, before proceeding to the further methods, connect the SD card to another device. If the SD card is not corrupted, then it will show files on a different computer.
2. Try Another USB Port
Well, if you are connecting your SD card to a computer, we recommend you try plugging the SD card into another port. You also need to check the USB card reader for problems.
Try another USB card and try several different USB Ports on your computer/laptop. If the SD card is crashed, you might not be able to access it even on other ports.
3. Run the Disk Repair Tool
If you are using Windows 10, you can utilize the disk error checking tool to check the drive for file system errors. You need to implement some of the simple steps shared below to repair your SD card using the Windows Disk Repair tool.
- First of all, open Windows File Explorer and right-click on your SD card.
- On the right-click menu, select Properties.
- Now switch to the Tools tab and select the Check option.
- On the next window, select Scan and repair drive even if no errors were found.
That’s it! You are done. This is how you can scan and repair your SD card on Windows.
4. Assign Different Drive Letter
Sometimes, Windows operating system fails to assign a drive letter to connected devices. Even if it has assigned a drive letter, it fails to read it. So, before proceeding to the next methods, make sure to assign a new drive letter to an unreadable SD card.
For that, click on the Start button and the search button, search for ‘Disk Management’. Open Disk Management from the list, right-click on the drive on which you want to assign a new letter and then select the option ‘Change Drive Letter and Paths’
5. Repair Using CMD
Well, CMD is always the best option when it comes to repairing any Windows files. The great thing is that you can probably fix the corrupted or crashed SD card via CMD. Just follow some of the simple steps listed below to repair crashed SD card using CMD
Important: This will format the SD card
1. First of all, connect the corrupted or crashed SD card to your computer.
2. Open CMD and enter ‘diskpart‘
3. In the next step, type in list disk and press Enter. Now you will see all the disk that’s attached to your computer.
4. Now you need to type in select disk 1. Make sure to replace the ‘disk 1’ with the disk number given to your SD card.
5. In the next step, type ‘clean‘ and press the Enter button.
6. Next, type in ‘create partition primary‘ and then press the Enter button.
7. Now, type in ‘active‘ and then hit Enter.
8. Now, type in ‘select partition 1’ and then press Enter.
9. We are almost done! Now in the last step, we need to format the newly created partition. For that, type in ‘format fs=fat32’ and hit Enter.
That’s it; you are done! This is how to repair a damaged sd card using cmd. If you have some other doubts, then make sure to discuss them with us in the comments.
So, these are the best methods to repair a crashed SD card and protect your data. I hope this article helped you! Please share it with your friends also. If you have any doubts related to this, let us know in the comment box below.